Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The big bad wolf and the skinny assed bears.

   So, as I was perusing my favorite news soiurce for all things non-newsworthy (yahoo), I found this little tidbit about wolves making the bears fat in Yellowstone.  First, I thought about some wolf in the forest, cooking Papa Bear some biscuits and gravy, and pork chops and all that other good stuff.  Then, I figured some goober at yahoo had screwed up the headline yet again, so I proceeded to investigate.

   As it turns out, there is a logical flow for the reasoning behind wolves making bears fat.  Stick with this, cuz its really pretty cool.  First off, we start with elk.  Now I know that elk weren't mentioned in the headline, but "bear" with me.  When wolves were taken out of Yellowstone back in the 20's, the elk population lost a primary predator.  Erego, said Elk population exploded like a hellfire on a jihadi.  Now, the elk gotta eat, and they like them some berrys and shrubs and things all good vegans eat.  This just happens to be the same produce that the bears utilize to store fat up for winter.  Now you follow?  Lots of elk=no berries=skinny bears.

   Fast forward to 1996, and the reintroduction of the wolf into Yellowstone.  The pack grows, and they do what wolves normally do and thin out the elk herd a bit.  Less elk means more berries, and more berries means fatter bears.  In addition, other things that the elk normally have been stuffing themselves on are coming back in abundance, and Yellowstone seems to be thriving.

Imagine that; God's ecosystem working better than the man made one.  Whoda thunk it?

   Now, I know that humans are on this planet, and there has to be some intervention by man to make our place on this big rock, so if a wolf is attacking a herd of cattle, he/she/it should be introduced to the business end of a 7mm pronto.  I also understand that a lot of the reason the planet is as jacked up as it is is because the econo-weenies take shit way too far.  Time to start looking for that balance.

PS.  I stole this from Angel, I think, but it fits my story so there.

1 comment: