Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Important question for my friends with V.A. experience

I've written here a few times about my father in law, and his battle with Alzheimer's.  We finally got all of his benefit crap straightened out with the VA, and I'm real hesitant to rock the boat.  However, my mother in law is wanting to move to another state to be closer to her son.  She has a potential buyer on the line already for her house.  The fact that there is a buyer at all is remarkable, considering that she has a pretty expensive house in a very rural area, so we don't want to pass the opportunity to sell either.

Here's the question.  How does she sell her house without totally wrecking his benefits?  Our advisor that we've used to get all his benefits done says she cant touch the money at all.  If she sells, she automatically gets a 10-99.  We looked at going the 1031 route, but that doesn't apply to primary residences.  She can't gift it because it's already listed as an asset.

I know she cant be the first one to go through this, but after fighting and scratching for two years to get where we are now, I don't want to take any chances with his benefits.

Help???  Direction??

2 comments:

  1. I too would be interested to hear how others handle this.
    We don't have quite the same situation. My dad is sharp as a tack at 91, but I'm the one care giving & navigating the system for him. More info would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I've talked to our VA advocate, who has absolutely no idea. I've also left messages with another advocate and three accredited VA attorneys and have not received a call back from any of them. This is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete